Diabetes and Pregnancy for Birth Professionals Course
While doulas are not medical professionals, and are not allowed to provide medical care or advice, it helps to have a basic knowledge of various medical conditions such as type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, and gestational diabetes.
Our Diabetes and Pregnancy Doula curriculum is developed by experienced and certified advanced doula, student midwife, mother of 3, and type 1 diabetes expert, Karina Robinson. She has created a comprehensive, evidence-based course that is designed to provide doulas with information to guide them in better understanding and supporting clients with diabetes. This class will help you to more effectively support, and prepare your diabetic clients in their birth journey. You will be better equipped to assist them in understanding their options with diabetes and help them to plan for a safe and satisfying birth.
The Diabetes and Pregnancy for Birth Professsionals class includes:
- What makes a client with diabetes different?
- Distinguishing between the different types of diabetes
- Type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes
- Diagnostic methods and thresholds for Gestational Diabetes
- Comparative Benefits and Harms of Varying Diagnostic Thresholds
- Treatments for each type of diabetes
- PCOS and Diabetes
- Preparing to conceive – What clients need to know
- Essential diabetes statistics & facts
- Complications and how to avoid them
- Options during pregnancy and labor with diabetes
- Red flags for providers and birthplaces
- Safely avoiding cesareans
- Cesareans with diabetes
- Postpartum – what to expect and how to help
- Access to resources and support on our Facebook group.
- 100+ page course manual
- Published on our Diabetes Certified Doulas page
All of our classes are held at Peaceful Deliveries in Centerville, Utah.
We offer an online course for those who are unable to attend in-person.
Saturdays 1 – 4 PM
July 24, 2021
If the above dates don’t work for you, please call/text to set up a date that does: (801) 831-3124.
You must be a trained and/or certified doula in order to attend this continuing education Diabetes and Pregnancy for Birth Professionals Class. This is NOT a doula training. We focus exclusively on information needed to support your clients with diabetes.
Course fees are $150 and required to reserve your spot.
One reservation per person.
Seating is limited and spots fill up quickly.
Cancellation is required at least 24 hours in advance.
You must be logged in to post a comment.