Diabetes and Pregnancy Doula Course
All classes are held at Peaceful Deliveries in Centerville, Utah.
We offer Live video courses for those who are unable to attend in-person.
July 20, 2019 4:00 – 7:00 PM
August 24, 2019 1:00 – 4:00 PM
While doulas are not medical professionals, and are not allowed to provide medical care or advice, it helps to have a basic knowledge of various medical conditions such as type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, and gestational diabetes.
Our Diabetes and Pregnancy Doula Course curriculum is developed by experienced and certified advanced doula, mother, and type 1 diabetes expert, Karina Robinson. She has created a comprehensive, evidence-based course that is designed to provide doulas with information to guide them in better understanding and supporting clients with diabetes. This course will help you to more effectively support, and prepare your diabetic clients in their birth journey. You will be better equipped to assist them in understanding their options with diabetes and help them to plan for a safe and satisfying birth.
This course includes:
- What makes a client with diabetes different?
- Distinguishing between the different types of diabetes
- Type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes
- Diagnostic methods and thresholds for Gestational Diabetes
- Comparative Benefits and Harms of Varying Diagnostic Thresholds
- Treatments for each type of diabetes
- PCOS and Diabetes
- Preparing to conceive – What clients need to know
- Essential diabetes statistics & facts
- Complications and how to avoid them
- Options during pregnancy and labor with diabetes
- Red flags for providers and birthplaces
- Safely avoiding cesareans
- Cesareans with diabetes
- Postpartum – what to expect and how to help
- Access to resources and support on our Facebook group.
- 100 page course manual
- Published on our Diabetes Certified Doulas page
You must be a trained and/or certified doula in order to attend this continuing education course. This is NOT a doula training. We focus exclusively on information needed to support your clients with diabetes.
Course fees are $150 and required to reserve your spot.
One reservation per person.
Seating is limited and spots fill up quickly.
Cancellation is required at least 24 hours in advance.